2011年8月26日金曜日

A friend and his father


August 8, 2011 Written in Tokyo

A friend and his father

I met an old friend during my visit to The Netherlands. We used to go to the same primary school, and lived in the same street as well.
Just like 15 years ago, my friend was still the intelligent, pleasant guy he used to be. He is now in his final year of his study of philosophy, and will start working soon. It is a strange thing to see the little guy who you used to play soccer with in the streets become a grown up with a job. It makes you realise how much time has passed since. Never again shall you be able to see that 7 year old kid, and that is a sad thing.
 I used to know his father as well. A person that defines something about my childhood, to say the least. When I heard the terrible news that he is now terribly ill, I first thought I could better not make a visit, but I was invited there with my family anyway. I entered his house I used to know so well with a complicated feeling. I was a bit scared. Scared to see how bad things were.  But the moment I entered the door, I felt that everything was as it always had been. The father of my friend was mentally completely fine, and the nice person I used to know as a child. Never did he show a sad face that day, and he even joined us at dinner with a happy smile on his face. It showed his strong personality, and how much he wanted to enjoy every second of life he has last. It was one of the most memorable dinners I have had in a long time.
All I can do is wish my friend and his family as much time possible with their fantastic father. I really hope I can see him again.




0 件のコメント:

Total visitors